Monday, March 2, 2015

Random product reviews and general update


Well, after a weekend of ups and downs, here I am on track once again – sort of. I had planned on dropping my calorie count to 1,000 starting today, but I am just not mentally ready for that. I have been pretty good about staying within the range of 1,200 this past week, but it has been a real struggle for me. I have found that a lot of the things that I have bought anticipating them to be good for this stage of my diet are actually not that great. For example – yogurt. Yogurt is great, and my favorite – Greek yogurt – is perfect for someone who is looking for high protein.  BUT daaaaaaaamn! Watch the calories! My absolute favorite flavor is (of course!) over 200 calories for one serving! Add a little high protein granola to that and you’re looking at a 300 – 350 calorie snack. When you are planning to only eat 1,000 calories a day, 350 calorie snacks just can’t really happen. You can find low-cal yogurts, just read the labels carefully. They won’t be as yummy, but what can you do?

Also, all pre-made protein shakes are NOT created equal, in quality or taste. So far, I find that Premier protein shakes offer the best protein bang for your buck, and the one flavor I have had (vanilla) tasted just like melted ice cream. A little too sweet for me, perhaps – but edible and MUCH better than many other brands I have tried. EAS Advantedge is the lowest calorie (only 100!) but it has a bit less protein than Premier. They are both kinda expensive, but not outrageously so. Also the Café Caramel EAS? Pretty great!





On the other hand, most of the really well-known brand’s versions of protein shakes – Special K, V8, Slimfast, Ensure – range from barely passable to rubbish. We decided to try the Walgreens brand chocolate protein shakes that they seem to be discontinuing…. Oh sweet LORD! Stay away. Stay faaaar away. They taste like 20 year old Ovaltine mixed into storm drain water. Plus, high cal and less than impressive protein.


I have also been eating protein bars – primarily Zone Perfect brand because I was able to coupon several boxes of them on the cheap. So far I have had the Greek Yogurt Chocolate, The Peanut Butter Chocolate, the Fudge Graham, and the Chocolate Almond Raisin – all good! I do have to say that the Chocolate Almond Raisin has this weird liqueur flavor to it that bothers me a little, but if your into that kind of thing it will work for you. These are all pretty good protein, but kinda high calorie (around 210 or so). Honestly though, when I really just need to chew something, these are great. They are really filling and they take a while to eat. EVEN BETTER, the WAWA’s up the street from us stocks these Jack Links jumbo beef steak sticks. I get the teriyaki and I love it. It takes me about 20 minutes to eat the whole thing and its only 130 calories! The sodium is pretty scary (900+), so it is definitely a once in a while thing.

Well, I suppose that’s all for now! I have a pretty quiet week as far as surgery prep goes. Next Monday (3/09) I officially start the liver-shrinking pre-op diet. It is a little intimidating, but I am ready for it. I don't get to weigh in again until March 18th! I wish I knew where I stand right now. Ah well. If I am lucky I’ll hear from my surgeon’s office that my insurance has approved me in a couple of days. Cross your fingers and toes for me!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I've been needing/wanting to go the protein route for a bit. Glad to see which path I should take. :)

    Proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete