Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Where I am and where I am going (601)

I will begin by saying that I will not be going over every detail of how I gained as much weight as I have and why I am as large as I am – there is no point in it and it doesn't make for very good reading. Yes, I have tried many diet and exercise programs with successful weight loss. I eventually gained all of the lost weight back plus more. Yes, I have a hormonal disorder that makes losing weight more difficult than the average person. Yes, I am undergoing gastric sleeve surgery which is extreme and risky. I will say that I have a very significant amount of weight to lose and that my first step in conquering this monster that is being morbidly obese for good begins now. At this moment, as per my weigh-in at my doctor’s office, I weigh 601 pounds. 601; really. I am 5’8 and 33 years old. My ideal goal is somewhere in the neighborhood of 160, but that is a goal for another day.  In total, I want to lose about 440 pounds. That is more than an above average obese person weighs. I need to lose the equivalent of two average male  NFL fans basically (zing!).

I loved this guy, by the way.

Right now my goal is to lose 20 pounds before March 18th. In order for the surgeon to go ahead with my surgery I must have lost at least 10 pounds. Her words were, “… the more you lose the easier it will be for me.” Between now and then I have a meeting with my nutritionist on the 17th (one week from today), and I would like to show some progress.

So, what am I doing right now to lose? Yesterday I started something akin to my pre-surgery diet. I have a protein shake for breakfast, a protein shake for lunch, and a normal dinner. I realize this sounds very reminiscent of the old Slimfast commercials, and essentially it is the same thing but with more nutritious shakes. I have done pretty well both days. Yesterday I did have a couple of pieces of turkey sausage along with my EAS AdvanEDGE café caramel shake for breakfast so it was a bit of a cheat, but I still managed to stay under calorie goal for the day (1500). It’s a start.

Exercising at my size is an issue, but I do a little movement throughout the day.  I take my two big dogs for short walks/potty breaks throughout the day. I randomly lift my arms and legs. I do lunges while I’m standing around. I would love to do more formal exercise, but I suspect that I will have to start with walking. Right now my goal is to make it to the park at the end of the block and back. My back hurts so badly at the end of that walk that I can hardly move. I get these knots on either side of the small of my back when I stand or walk for more than a few minutes and it is really annoying.


Right! Here starts my accountability. I am using the Lose It website, I am following my diet, and I am hoping to get in some exercise. I will update in a week and see where my progress is. Thanks for following along! 



1 comment: